Technical References for Repeater & Sonnerie Complicatio

a virtual workshop for watchmakers and clockmakers

Postby bryanhiler » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:28 am

I'm looking for a good reference that would deal in depth with Repeater and Sonnerie complications (especially sonnerie theory, variations, etc). I assume there have been books written even if they are textbooks? Do any of you have any suggestions? I have most of the more common books that deal with complications, but they are generally pretty poor when it comes to repeaters and almost nothing on striking watches, if they even mention them. I have a pretty good reference from about 1850 that deals with quarter-repeaters, but generally he is working with the pre-1800 mechanisms that use a chain and even if he speaks of the more "modern" mechanisms, it is exclusively quarter-repeaters.

Do such books exist (preferably in English)? Something similar to the depth that George Daniels give to escapements.

I feel like I have a pretty solid foundation of understanding from having restored several repeaters while carefully studying them and a sonnerie clockwatch that I have that I can watch and study. That, along with having studied most of what is written on them in the more readily available books and with those great in-depth articles that Curtis and others have so kindly written on new watches that have been created in recent years.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

~Bryan
bryanhiler
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:18 am
Location: Notre Dame, Indiana

Postby Curtis » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:39 am

Hi Bryan,

There aren't too many books that cover "big" complications... unfortunately. In English (and maybe in any language) "the" reference book on complications is "A Guide To Complicated Watches" by Francois LeCoultre. You can purchase it here - http://www.watch-clock-makers.org/ecomm ... od=book032 DeCarle has a book on complications, too, but it isn't of the same standard as LeCoultre's, but still worth reading.

You can also try contacting the NAWCC, AWCI and BHI and requesting they research the subject for you. Each organization has its own journals that are loaded with great material, including info on complications.

Cheers,

Curtis
Curtis
Site Admin
 
Posts: 679
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:33 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Postby bryanhiler » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:06 pm

Thanks for your advice. I don't think I have come across the LeCoultre book before, so I will definately look into it.

I have read DeCarle's book on fixing complicated watches, which has a lot of good information for the price.

~Bryan
bryanhiler
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:18 am
Location: Notre Dame, Indiana

Postby jadewatchmaker » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:25 am

Lecoultre is the best available. He at least lays out a minute snail. W. J. Gazeley's Watch and Clock Making and Repairing has a chapter on repeaters which surprisingly covers sonnerie watches - at least a bit. But not near enough for my liking. I needed to make a minute rack that was missing in a watch and did as much research as I could. I looked thoroughly through Mr. Simone's library while at Wostep but found nothing written on it not only in English but in German or French as well. And his is supposed to be the best privately owned watchmaking library in the world. I believe this area was originally information passed down from master to apprentice by the specialty maker and the desire was to keep the knowledge valuable much as knowledge of making jewel was for quite some time. You would think that would change now with so many manufacturers getting into the act of greater complications but it is unlikely that anything is being written in English.
I so much wanted George Danials to write a follow up book to Watchmaking but don't believe he is in the health to do it anymore. Unfortunately the study of existing movements is the greatest source of knowledge around and they are difficult to pick up reasonably. Perhaps we can pool our knowledge at times, Jadewatchmaker.
jadewatchmaker
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:54 am

Postby jadewatchmaker » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:24 am

I forgot to finish the story of the minute rack. Eventually I gave up on finding help and set out to do it on my own. I took a picture of a minute rack from a similar watch. I measured the one critical measurement I could figure out - the distance from the center of the pivoting hole and the minute teeth. I measured the corresponding distance of the missing rack. I then reduced the picture the percentage of that difference. This at least gave me a start. I glued that picture on steel and made the part except for cutting the teeth and checked it on the movement. I found that the dimensions were off in an area and tried again. After making this one I found another difference. I believe now that I have the part correct. Sure it is a lot of trouble but I know the function of the part and the relationship with all other parts so much more than when I started. Now I know where I made my biggest mistake was making the parts out of steel instead of brass 'till I got it right. Perseverance seems to be our greatest tool in watchmaking at least for me, Jadewatchmaker
jadewatchmaker
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:54 am


Return to On The Bench


  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

cron