I hope this post was a fitting tribute to a fine craftsman who left a handful of underappreciated watches behind as his artistic legacy.
As an American, I'm glad to know that the Europeans don't have all the talent. Maybe, hopefully, some day Americans will learn to appreciate mechanical watches.
I often think about that picture (unfortunately, not posted here) of Gene holding his daughter Natalia in one arm and Watch No. 7 in the other. As nice as fine watches are, it's the humanity that makes it interesting to me. I think that picture captures that in showing what is really valuable in life.
It would be nice if we could put together a professionally made book/article/whatever using much better quality photographs to capture the details of all the watches he made. If you happen to own one of these watches, or are a family member or friend of Gene's and can help with this project, please get in touch with either Curtis or myself. Without any help from the people who own the watches now, or who have additional information that family members or friends would have, this posting is literally the FULL extent of all that has been published on the life and art of Gene Clark.
bryanhiler@hotmail.com
~Bryan
(Thanks Curtis for posting the pictures.)
