by Mike Everman » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:05 am
Hi Curtis, apologies, I forgot to respond.
As a precision mechanism guy, I've always had an interest in any type of precision devices. As I get older, (I'm 50 now), I become more and more fascinated by passive or non-electric devices for fun. I do like complex things, but now view electronics and software as cheating, especially since what I am creating has no practical application, beyond the art of it.
I started researching clockwork and was led to Philip's W5, and then to David Walter's (D)W5, which fueled the fire for clockwork.
BTW, I just got a job to make a micro cnc mill using some of the techniques I've always wanted to try. I'll be posting some work on that here. One of the neat aspects of it is how stupendously small i will be able to go with the machine. That's what's absorbing me now.
As to my pendulum research, I just made a disk-like flag that goes in the end of the high/low inertia rig, so I can now measure the ring-down and Q of different configurations. Got to see if my math model is right, which after a preliminary run, I think is not!