Considering the high company among this site, I was loathe to post a question of my own. I speak here among watchmakers both novice and famous, and I am not one myself yet.
I also don't wish to drag this forum down to something more plebeian, nor do I consider people here royalty. The mere fact that I can, as a citizen, ask questions of watchmakers
and famous independents, is quite humbling and inspiring. So I'll just ask and see who answers.
Everyone passionate about horology knows the metals of a modern watchmaker. My question is, what specific alloys do those who come here use? I'm familiar with many metallurgical compositions,
from the so-called german silver varieties, to the alloys of gold Breguet himself used in the springs of his Sympathetique clocks. I've searched exhaustively over the years for these things.
What alloys of brass do you use in your watches, and for what parts? Are there specific alloys of brass that are set for watchmaking, or right out should never be used?
Even beyond brass, what metals do you use for your gears, pinions, balance rims, weights, and any other key components? Perhaps I've asked something too secret to be revealed...
The reason I ask is genuine curiosity, and that lately, I have a chance to buy a large amound of good Alloy 260 Brass plate stock with a metallurgical report. Until recently, I considered actually attempting
to make a watch something doable, but something I would only attempt after I received training at a school for watchmaking. Anything short of that would be sheer hubris. Now, I've decided if I wait for training,
I may never make a watch. The very act of making a watch is somewhat an exercise in hubris, no matter what training you have, because doing so, you are training yourself anyway.
I've interviewed at two of the top watchmaking schools in the US within the last 2 years, and to get that far at both tells me I can do it. But I need to improve my skill.
I go at things the hard way. Perhaps if I make even a time only watch, I will have progressed to a level where the remaining schools I'd like to join will take me a bit more seriously.
Not that the ones I have been to have not- I know I've impressed them at both places. I didn't get into these "Harvard or Yale" of watchmaking, as it were, but the fact that I got to the final interviews emboldens me.
I also know I'm not crazy, but to make a watch is a bit crazy for anyone. I know I'm crazy enough to succeed with enough time! I can only learn from this endeavor, even if the result is poor.
I risk sounding laughable stating that, but I have the time outside my job, and I have many tools already. Metal stock is my concern now. And those who have posted here, along with men like Daniels,
have shown me it's possible. I just need to approach this methodically, and patiently. With a year or two of spare time!
What alloys should I be looking at buying for this? Would some of the more famous among us care to comment on this, or what alloys they use?
If I've asked something taboo, I apologize.
I have no intention of becoming the next Daniels, Sarpaneva, or anyone else. I am just a passionate soul who wants to make a watch, for my own sake and skill. I don't care about becoming famous or rich.
I simply enjoy the concept of someday wearing on my wrist a device of my own making that tells the time as I alone intended. That's enough for me. I am tenacious, patient, extremely mechanically inclined,
and eternally curious about the smallest things. And if I can't yet get training, perhaps it's time to train myself!
I'll leave you with a fantastic article for those curious about the gold alloys used in watchmaking, as my contribution of knowledge for the thread:
http://www.goldbulletin.org/assets/file/goldbulletin/downloads/Trueb_1_33.pdf
