Benches...

a virtual workshop for watchmakers and clockmakers

Postby Curtis » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:39 pm

Hi Hajime,

It has been awhile... thanks for the post. It is nice to see where you are making your watches. Any progress reports for us?

Cheers,

Curtis
Curtis
Site Admin
 
Posts: 679
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:33 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Postby Iceman » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:03 am



i love working in the dark like that :)
Iceman
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 1:21 pm
Location: Sweden

Postby whiskeybelly » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:58 am

Iceman wrote:
i love working in the dark like that :)


Hmm, that bench and the little micromotor look very familiar, but the one(s) I'm thinking of aren't in Sweden :wink: .
whiskeybelly
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:17 pm
Location: Europe

Postby Hajme Asaoka » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:52 pm

whiskeybelly wrote:Who made the mill in the first pic? Looks very well built. I always enjoy seeing machines with chips on them- and I notice what looks like a Swiss PB screwdriver in the Myford chip pan :) .


milling machine by HASEGAWA made in japan.
http://www.hasegawa-m.co.jp/english/pro ... pf_en.html

I like swiss made tools :D
Hajme Asaoka
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:55 pm
Location: Tokyo Japan

Postby Jack Freedman » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:26 pm

Hi Curtis,

My bench shown is one of a kind since it consists of three separate units. The bottom is taken from a standard U.S. available watchmakers bench which I sawed off the top, everything above the top drawers. The middle section on TOP of the standard bench came from a special Swiss bench which has a motorized unit rotating a center wheel with 10 or 20 sections. That section came with the arm rests. The very top of the bench which I had laminated with formica was extended and custom made for me by a woodworking shop. I then cut a rubber bench plate around the moveable center wheel.

The mechanized center wheel kind bench is one used in Switzerland for manufacturing and assembling new watches. In the 1970's I did contracting repair work for a distributor and worked on 20 uniform calibre 6X8 movements such as the popular Font 60. This bench offered me rapid work ability thus enabling me to provide after sales service with fast turnaround.

It seems like it was all in another era of watchmaking but I kept the same bench to this day as it's comfortable and keeps me organized focusing on one watch at a time.

I find my bench unique and thought I'd share it with those who have a similar passion for watchmaking at the bench. FYI, I have a folder of nearly 60MB containing over 100 photos of benches from watchmakers. Unfortunately, I cannot share such a sizeable collection online.

Current Photo



Close-up from a couple of years ago

Image

Regards,
Jack Freedman
Jack Freedman
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:14 pm

Postby Paul Loatman » Sat May 08, 2010 9:33 am

I just remembered this thread so i decided to take a break from polishing and take some pictures of my current work area.

Here's my desk, it's not a watchmakers bench but it's good enough.


The left side of my desk is home to my lathes, i use the base of a pantograph which holds both a 6mm Lorch, and a 8mm Webster Whitcomb, the base of the Lorch holds the motor so i just remove the Lorch from it's base and swivel everything around when i need to use my WW lathe.


On the right side of my desk i have some hand tools, a few wheel chucks, oils, and other things.


Under the right side of my desk i have a staking set, a few lathe tailstocks, alcohol cup and lamp, some broken watch parts, my torch and other miscellaneous things.


Some random tools and materials i don't use often. (Yes, i actually use that hand drill, and yes, i know that it's ridiculous).


My original Webster Whitcomb cross slide with a Chinese milling attachment.


Here's my jeweling tool, i need to make some reamers for it.


Ok, now back to my desk. The center of my desk is where i work with hand tools, you can see a couple of depthing tools, there's a couple of tins with oilstone paste and diamantine paste, screw drivers, some old measuring tools, broaches, my watch parts, and my trusty brass tweezer.


Finally, here's a quick shot of my tourbillon parts, i've been polishing them all week and they're very close to being finished.



I don't have very much compared to most of the benches already shown, but after reading this article about Richard Miklosch ( http://www.tempered-online.com/forums/v ... .php?t=226 ) written by Curtis, i figured if he makes such amazing watches with just basic tools then i'm sure i can too.
-Paul
Paul Loatman
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 7:07 pm
Location: Modesto, CA

Postby Paul Loatman » Sat May 08, 2010 11:57 am

Here's something i forgot to show, i got this unsorted set of jewels on ebay for about 30 bucks, they practically gave them to me.

-Paul
Paul Loatman
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 7:07 pm
Location: Modesto, CA

Postby whiskeybelly » Sat May 08, 2010 2:13 pm

Paul, I think your bench is just great! Enjoy the Miklosch-esque period... you'll see, soon you will have a room full of machines and equipment, then another, then a storage room, then you will be finding tools in your boxes you never knew you had :) .
whiskeybelly
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:17 pm
Location: Europe

Postby Paul Loatman » Mon May 10, 2010 10:19 am

whiskeybelly wrote:Paul, I think your bench is just great! Enjoy the Miklosch-esque period... you'll see, soon you will have a room full of machines and equipment, then another, then a storage room, then you will be finding tools in your boxes you never knew you had :) .


I plan to enjoy this period for quite some time. :D

I want to be able to make several types of watches with basic tools before i move onto easier methods.
-Paul
Paul Loatman
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 7:07 pm
Location: Modesto, CA

Postby Reparatheure » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:12 pm

Here's mine:











[/img]
Reparatheure
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:26 pm

Postby Curtis » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:16 pm

Hi,

Thanks for posting. I really enjoy seeing others benches and workshops. Are you working mostly on clocks or watches? Or, is it an even split?

Thanks!

Cheers,

Curtis
Curtis
Site Admin
 
Posts: 679
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:33 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Postby Reparatheure » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:53 pm

Mostly on pocket watches.
Reparatheure
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:26 pm

Postby Paul Loatman » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:47 pm

I built this up about a year ago, ripped out the useless carpet and replaced it with vinyl tiles, then bought a Bosch jig saw and a bunch of plywood and built all of the benches, they're actually very rigid, i tested the first one by standing on it and trying to put a bit of weight on it and it didn't even creek. The two main benches have half circles cut out of the front, this just makes it easier to keep things on the bench rather than going onto the floor, on the bench to the right side i also added an apron which ensures that i don't ever drop anything. I may make another bench later for true finishing/assembly work when i have my tourbillon completed and working.

I've been so busy that i just haven't bothered taking pictures of it, but recently i was asked for pictures for a magazine that i'll be featured in sometime soon, so here are the pics of my current workspace.









(I'm smiling on the inside.)
-Paul
Paul Loatman
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 7:07 pm
Location: Modesto, CA

Postby Curtis » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:42 am

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the update. Please let us know what magazine you'll be featured in and when can we expect to see it on the newsstands?

Cheers,

Curtis
Curtis
Site Admin
 
Posts: 679
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:33 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Postby Paul Loatman » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:04 pm

Hi Curtis, the magazine is The Peak in Singapore. I think it's exclusive to Singapore because they have different countries all of which i believe are in Asia. I'm not sure when it's going to be published but i'll let you know when i find out.

Here's their website: http://www.thepeakmagazine.com/sg/home
-Paul
Paul Loatman
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 7:07 pm
Location: Modesto, CA

Previous

Return to On The Bench


  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

cron