Great looking Jig borer, Whiskeybelly!
How big is it? It looks pretty small.
Paul Loatman wrote:Great looking Jig borer, Whiskeybelly!
How big is it? It looks pretty small.
whiskeybelly wrote:Paul Loatman wrote:Great looking Jig borer, Whiskeybelly!
How big is it? It looks pretty small.
Physical size is about 20"x20", the travels are 100mm x/y. It uses B-8 collets; the scope slides out and quill slides in its place for work. The feedscrews are 1mm pitch and have cam correction on the dials and there's an accessory table with a precision scale made of Invar that's used to check or correct the cams.
It's a cute little thing, and the fact that the table can be moved at an angle is very handy for putting in holes for winding stems. Larger machines are, in my opinion, nicer to use; but when I was tooling up and needed a jig borer I didn't have the space for a 1 ton machine. I can just lift this one up onto a bench alone- the Hauser is the same size but the castings are much heavier and I usually just take it apart when I need to move it.
Jacob Sobell wrote:The Dixi looks fantastic! AND you have a Hauser M1? I have been looking at getting a small jig borer for my shop as my next major purchase.
Ophiuchus wrote:Paul, I have one of those Taig mills- a practically brand new manual model with a Sherline rotary table, and no CNC in sight. That's all I have. I don't even have a lathe, but I suppose I could make a lathe with this.
I personally attest to the build quality- they are very solid, rugged, and quite precise machines. I bought it with total intention of using it to make watches and watch parts, as well as custom tools and well, anything I please. I own many hand tools, but this mill is the one serious piece of equipment I own, and I don't get much time to use it (I move around a lot lately)
Until I get an affordable copy of Watchmaking by Daniels, the mill will make simple things. I highly recommend the Taig, though- I researched small mills for years before settling on the Taig. For around 900$, you can get a full travel X axis model like mine- see Carter Tools. If you add a linear encoder to a mill, you can get an even higher positional accuracy for watchmaking than dials alone will give.
I leave you with 2 pictures of Thomas Prescher's workbenches/shop I found, the only ones I've ever seen of his shop. http://bayimg.com/eAkJCaACB http://bayimg.com/EakJEaACb