My Quest Finding the Best Loupe for Eyeglasses

a virtual workshop for watchmakers and clockmakers

Postby Jack Freedman » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:43 pm

My Quest Finding the Best Loupe for Eyeglasses

by Jack Freedman - March 2010

Over the 45 years as a watchmaker at the bench I've worn many different types of loupes most of which were attached to my eyeglasses I constantly need to wear.

Until a few weeks ago the last loupe I used was a clip-around Bergeon model which apparently was designed to fit large eyeglass frames sold by optical stores everywhere for the past many decades.

As a result of a recent visit to my opthamologist he changed my prescription which prompted me to try smaller and lighter eyeglass frames for work. That meant also changing my loupe for some other type since the old one did not fit my new glasses. Having a box of assorted loupes in my shop I tried the Bergeon clip-on which I modified to fit better. The problem, however, was that the spring clip did not stay in place as a result of constant flip up and flip down of the loupe over the eyeglass.

My frustration with this type of loupe led me to contact my colleague watchmakers until one suggested I try the Donegan loupe which can be secured to the temple with changeable cams designed to fit eyeglass frames from 1/16" to 1/4" temple width.

After ordering this new loupe it arrived with solid black plastic cam holders and I found out from the company that clear material has been discontinued although the photos on most websites show clear plastic material. After mounting the loupe I realized that the facing downward large cam holder cast a black distraction to my right eye. With a grinding stone I proceeded to remove as much material I could leaving just enough to clamp the loupe to the eyeglass frame. It helped quite a bit but then I discovered that by reversing the long tube holding the lense from the clamp I was able to mount the clamp on top of the temple rather than below what is shown in photos. This new position eliminated the problem of distraction and reflection which I first had coming from the clamp because now it was out of the line of eyesight.

I then went about to improve the efficiency of use of the new loupe by carefully cutting away straight across the bottom portion of the high quality optical grade lens made from precision ground and polished molds. By doing so, I can now tilt my head downward to view the watch parts through the lens or tilt upward to work without the lens all without swivelling the lense from the eyeglasses. This freedom provides a level of comfort and saves the need for constant adjustment and positioning of the loupe over the eyeglasses.

As with any pair of glasses or loupe it takes a while to get accustomed to something new but with this custom making I feel confident that it is the best loupe I can come up with.

Attached are photos of the many loupes I've used over the years and the result of my undertaking to modify the latest Donegan loupe to fit my new eyeglasses. The bottom one is the final product I now wear with the clamp holder in the upright position and with the lower portion of the loupe lens ground away.


[/b]
Jack Freedman
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:14 pm

Postby ei8htohms » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:08 pm

Hi Jack,

I use the Donegan loupes regularly and also switch eyes from time to time to try to even out the eye strain from right to left. I have noticed a little difference in the field of view from right to left because of where the cam sits on the frames (above or below), but it doesn't really bother me all that much I guess.

Glad to hear you've found something that works well for you!

_john
ei8htohms
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:01 pm

Postby Curtis » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:50 am

Hi Jack,

I'm glad you were able to find something to work with and even more pleased to read you modified it to suit your needs.

John, buddy, glad to see you post! I hope you are able to share your knowledge and experiences from the trenches with us when time and protocol allows.

Cheers,

Curtis
Curtis
Site Admin
 
Posts: 679
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:33 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA


Return to On The Bench


  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron