More golden oldie watchmaking pics...

a virtual workshop for watchmakers and clockmakers

Postby Curtis » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:19 pm

Hi all,

Here are a few more dusty pics... Life Magazine, Swiss workshop... Enjoy!

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Cheers,

Curtis
Curtis
Site Admin
 
Posts: 679
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:33 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Postby weekeat » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:24 pm

Do the watchmakers still use the aprons? I thought that's a nice touch. But it's probably more for assembly line processing kind of watchmaking because I can imagine it being a hassle if you need to work with many different kinds of tools.
weekeat
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:20 pm

Postby Curtis » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:00 pm

Hi Weekeat,

Aprons were used to help keep track of pesky parts that tried to escape from the bench and/or tweezers. That is, it is better for them to land in the apron than the floor. Aprons aren't seen in workshops anymore, at least none that I have visited, but some benches have a sliding tray, cloth bottom, that is pulled up to the body while working, thus serving the same purpose as the apron in the photo posted.

It is a good idea (apron or tray) but both have fallen out of favor for the most part. I don't know why. I don't use an apron or a tray... hmm....

Cheers,

Curtis
Curtis
Site Admin
 
Posts: 679
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:33 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Postby Smithy » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:04 am

Where I trained we used an adaptation of this idea that was a cross between an apron and a bench skin. One side was permanently fixed to the bench and the other side attached to a Velcro belt on me.
Now I find that a normal leather bench skin catches just as much, without the hassle when you want to move.
Smithy

User avatar
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:58 am
Location: UK
  • Website


Return to On The Bench


  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron