"RGM Pennsylvania Tourbillon .. Made in U.S.A."

a virtual workshop for watchmakers and clockmakers

Postby R.Murphy » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:04 am

Our new "Pennsylvania Tourbillon" has been in the works for almost 2 years.

This is the first Tourbillon made in the USA in a series.

The case will be ready in the next 6 weeks.

Here are a few facts about the watch.

1. Bridges and mainplate are made of un-plated German Silver. Dial is made of Silver and jewel settings are solid gold.

2. The cage is very large for a wrist-watch, this makes it easy to see what the Tourbillon is doing. The case will have a side window.

3. The movement is hand finished and the Guilloche is of course made on one of our Rose Engines.

4. Do to the labor involved for us to make this movement we hope to make 3 or 4 in the next year.

5. This is a One Minute Tourbillon at 18,000 beats.

Thanks for looking.

Best Regards,
Roland Murphy


R.Murphy
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:54 am
Location: USA

Postby David Walter » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:28 am

Hi Roland,

this is great to see, a USA made Tourbillion, I particularly like the dial side of the carriage and the Wolf winding work with the Wolf click.
David Walter
David Walter
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:31 am
Location: Santa Barbara, California

Postby Paul Loatman » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:00 pm

Very cool, too bad it isn't going to be a higher volume production.

The overall layout looks very similar to what i had designed for my watch, is this watch using the train of the ETA 6497/8 movements? Or possibly the train from a Hamilton 10 size watch?

Also what are those 2 large brass pieces on the dial side?
-Paul
Paul Loatman
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 7:07 pm
Location: Modesto, CA

Postby Martinpulli » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:06 pm

I can't wait to see photos of the completed watch.

A beauty. I too like the wolf tooth wheels, gorgeous detailing
on this movement. The dial/front plate is very detailed and very interesting as well.
Martinpulli
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:27 am
Location: Philadelphia, PA USA

Postby Curtis » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:55 pm

Hi Roland,

Congratulations on your tourbillon. I look forward to learning more about its construction and seeing it in its finished, cased up form.

Cheers,

Curtis
Curtis
Site Admin
 
Posts: 679
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:33 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Postby caput » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:53 am

Very nice achievement I'm curious to see the final result.
Congratulations.
caput
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:27 am

Postby R.Murphy » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:41 am

We are making the wheels, in fact we are working on new wheels with a different spoke design. the final watch will have these new wheels in gold, see below. Also below are pictures of the making of the stationary fourth wheel.

Roland



[/img]
R.Murphy
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:54 am
Location: USA

Postby R.Murphy » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:45 am

NT
R.Murphy
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:54 am
Location: USA

Postby Paul Loatman » Sat May 08, 2010 12:21 pm

I wasn't suggesting that you didn't make your own wheels, i was just wondering if you based the train on an existing watch or if you calculated everything yourself from scratch.

Either way, it's looking great and i can't wait to see it's case and dial.
-Paul
Paul Loatman
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 7:07 pm
Location: Modesto, CA

Postby Ophiuchus » Mon May 10, 2010 11:14 am

I concur with Paul- I'm curious as to what the brass pieces on the dial side are for. Did you place them there for aesthetic balance on the dial, or do they support something? Also, curiosity- what CAD program is that you're using?

As usual, your guilloche is wonderfully executed. I had the fortune to see some of your pieces at the caliber 801 showing at the watch museum, and I was really impressed by the quality of your guilloche.

I am a Pennsylvanian, and it's fantastic to see a USA made tourbillion from my state.
This looks quite impressive- I can't wait to see the finished cased piece.
Ophiuchus
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:31 pm


Return to On The Bench


  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron