Inverted Pendulum

a virtual workshop for watchmakers and clockmakers

Postby Mike Everman » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:52 pm

Hi Guys,
I've put up some video and pics of an inverted cycloid pendulum that I am testing now (at mikeeverman.com). Those who have seen the previous cycloid pendulum will recognize the bob on this one.
I realized that the little rollers supporting my "rodless" pendulum could be any length, as long as the upper and lower rolling surfaces describe a cylinder.
I think it is very interesting to watch, and even though this is still a high friction approach, what leaps to mind is a clock with the face on the bottom, and the pendulum on top, seemingly all being flipped upside down, but still works!
If only accurate to a second an hour, it still would be fun to have!
I'll be putting an electromagnetic drive to it this week, but of course am planning on an all mechanical drive and movement.
I hope you enjoy this one!

Image
Mike Everman,
Often wrong, never unsure.
www.bell-everman.com www.pulse-jets.com
www.mikeeverman.com
Mike Everman
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:36 pm
Location: Santa Barbara, CA

Postby Curtis » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:44 pm

Hi Mike,

Thanks for posting. It is fun to watch and I look forward to seeing how you impulse it. Oh, how's the small CNC coming along?

Cheers,

Curtis
Curtis
Site Admin
 
Posts: 679
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:33 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Postby Mike Everman » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:18 am

It's going well. We just got another order for 5, bringing the total to 8 so far. My customer is still working out their enclosure and I've done not much for my own skins and toolset, as this customer could quite easily swamp us with orders, which is nice.
Mike Everman,
Often wrong, never unsure.
www.bell-everman.com www.pulse-jets.com
www.mikeeverman.com
Mike Everman
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:36 pm
Location: Santa Barbara, CA


Return to On The Bench


  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron