Dial Repair and Resotration, where to learn more?

a virtual workshop for watchmakers and clockmakers

Postby horomancer » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:19 pm

Hello there, I've been searching the internet for any information regarding the repair of modern day dials. I've had little luck and it seems the only way to learn more would be to find employment with one of the reputable dial refinishing companies.
Have any members here had experience repairing dials? Aside from glueing back on markers and the occasional re-luming of a numeral or dot I've done little myself.
I would love to know anything in the vain of cleaning up minor scratches or smudges in modern day painted dials (Movado, I'm looking at you)

I have learned one thing through experimentation with the clear plastic dials seen in Citizen and other solar powered watches. You can remove small scratches by heating up a high polished piece of steel (hot to the touch but not enough to change color) and gently rubbing it across the scratch. The plastic will become pliable and adopt the surface texture of the steel, which is buffed to a mirror shine.

Edit: Two things! You can repair or diminish the appearance of fine lines and scratches on most painted date wheels by dipping the tip of sharp pegwood in hexane or high proof alcohol and gently rubbing the scratch. The small amount of chemical will make the paint mobile and cover up many smaller scuffs or scratches, though it tends to leave a glossier finish than the original paint. I find this far less noticeable than a scratch though
horomancer

User avatar
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:25 pm
Location: Iola TX
  • Website

Return to On The Bench


  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron