Hi all, I want to present my first attempt to make a w5. The aim of this project is to build a clock following the original plans of Philip Woodward and adaptations made by Bob Hölmstrom, changing these as little as possible, in other words "make an original Woodward". All measurements and proportions are according to planes except in aesthetic issues such as the dial and hands (which are inspired in the windows mouse arrow).
Only two technical components are different from the original. These are the modulus of the train and the suspensions of the pendulums. As for the module train, Philip used M 0525 and I have chosen M0.55 for reasons of standardization. The cutters for wheels and pinions commercially available are not M0.525 standard, this results that are more difficult to obtain and more expensive. The fact of choosing a superior module and not inferior does not respond to anything in particular.
The other modification made are suspensions. I understand that one of the most important parts of a regulator is the suspension. From the possible suspension types, all have drawbacks and advantages. Stability is the reason why I chose this. Robert J. Mathys in his book "Accurate clock Pendulums" makes an exhaustive and conclusive study of all types of suspension, and following these guidelines I have chosen this. A double beryllium copper spring arrangement with the springs ends silver soldered to the top and bottom suspension pices. This set itself, is fixed to the rod permanently under pressure and two dowel pins. This forms a single compact body. I know this system is not very aesthetic, much less practical for removing the pendulum of the clock, but I have these aspects sacrificed in favor of the stability and therefore precision. I must admit that the suspensions have been by far, the hardest part of making in the whole clock. The welding process is critical and if it is not perfectly carried out, simply the suspension does not work.
All the plates and most of the small pices of the clock are 18k gold-plated. The axes that are not supported by ball bearings rotate on rubies and end stones (13 in total). The weight is of lead, like the design of Woodward. I recognize that in the design of the dial, the numbers have little role and it is difficult to read the time. This is because I've decided to give center stage to the machinery and its operation. Ultimately if you just want to know what time it is, the best option is a radio-controlled wall clock. Following the steps of Philip Woodward, when manufacturing the screws I also phoned the Rolls Royce company, but there was no answer. So they are self-made.
Now the clock is on a test board fixed to a solid concrete wall and its operation is satisfactory. The slave pendulum is adjusted so that "hit and miss" succeed each alternatively and may eventually (with no pattern) there may be two "miss" and one "hit". The clock is finished recently and I still have not done enough measures with the Microset . Later when I have records, I present it in the forum. I am currently with the task of designing and building the cabinet, also when I finish it, I wil post the pics.
I'd like to give more explanations but as you can see my English is pretty bad. But if anyone has any questions do not hesitate to ask and will try to explain it gladly. I also I have "in the oven" the construction of the next clock with a new design and substantial mechanical changes, maintaining of course, the W5 spirit. I hope so earn the right to add to W5 stands the letter "LL"
I hope you have enjoyed this work.
Greetings.
Alfonso Llamazares.
