Christie's to Auction Gene Clark's No. 7 Masterpiece...

a virtual workshop for watchmakers and clockmakers

Postby Curtis » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:52 pm

Hi all,

The late American master watchmaker Gene Clark's No. 7 masterpiece pocket watch is to be auctioned off by Christie's Geneva in their May 14th Important Watches auction. The online catalog will be online next month and I will post a link when it is available.

The pocket watch and the details:

Gene Clark's No. 7 is a twin barrel, one-minute tourbillon with stopping device for the tourbillon and employs Peto Cross escapement.

The case is made from19 kt gold and sliver, has an engine turned dial, blued steel hands and a Breguet styled key - all made by Gene Clark.

Image

Key wind and key set movement, Geneva stop works on both barrels. As with the case and outer trappings, Clark made the movement himself over a period exceeding 4 years. The balance is rhodium plated nickel, the carriage is polished, heat treated, carbon steel.

Image

The engraving is by Lynton McKenzie. The estimate is $40, 000 - $60, 000 USD... an absolute bargain for a technical, hand crafted pocket watch of the highest order.

Image

Please review this thread for more information about Gene Clark and his work, including No. 7.

Cheers,

Curtis
Curtis
Site Admin
 
Posts: 679
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:33 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Postby Ophiuchus » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:54 pm

Christies was wonderful to send us these pictures of Mr. Clark's watch. Phenomenal finishing on those screws.

Thanks for posting this Curtis!
Ophiuchus
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:31 pm

Postby Curtis » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:16 pm

Hi all,

Christie's have posted the online catalog for their May 14, 2012 auction, which includes Gene Clark's No. 7 pocket watch detailed in this post. I quickly scanned the catalog and there are superb pocket watches (multiple Breguet's, Berthoud) and, as usual, fine Patek wristwatches on the block... have a look here.

Cheers,

Curtis
Curtis
Site Admin
 
Posts: 679
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:33 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Postby Ophiuchus » Thu May 10, 2012 11:03 pm

Curtis, do you happen to know if these auction catalogs are ever available for sale after the auction has ended? If so, for how long? I will be away for the weekend on business,
and if I must snag a copy, I'd like to know what time I may have. I know you aren't Christies, but perhaps have dealt with them enough that you may know this.

I have particularly high interest in the Breguet resonance watch- I've been looking for more data on it for quite some time. It would be wonderful to have some hard copies of Gene's work as well!
Ophiuchus
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:31 pm

Postby Curtis » Tue May 15, 2012 6:10 am

Hi all,

Gene Clark's No. 7 auctioned for a hammer price of 80,000 CHF (not including buyer's premium,) which I think is a record for Clark's work.

Cheers,

Curtis
Curtis
Site Admin
 
Posts: 679
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:33 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Postby Curtis » Tue May 15, 2012 9:29 am

nt
Curtis
Site Admin
 
Posts: 679
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:33 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA


Return to On The Bench


  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 1 guest

cron