Making my own watch

a virtual workshop for watchmakers and clockmakers

Postby Paul Loatman » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:42 am

whiskeybelly wrote:It's all looking just great Paul, very nice work! And you are doing all this without CAD if I recall correctly?

I'm sure you'll do this anyway without my advice- but make sure you don't skimp on the finish of the fork slot. The tiniest imperfection there can cause you all kinds of headaches. And once the dart is in it's a pain to have to go back in there...


No CAD at all, wouldn't know how to use it even if i had it at my disposal anyways.

I used an original pallet from the Unitas calibre to make a template, from which i made these, it took me 3 tries to get the template as accurate as i could. I was already planning on polishing the inside surface of the fork slot, i didn't think it would really help, but considering the fact that the roller jewel is constantly going through there, i figured it was a good idea, and you have only confirmed what i thought. So, i'll be extra careful with that area, i knew starting this that there were 3 major points that had to be done with absolute precision, the jewel slots and the fork slot.

How do you make pallets?

-Paul
-Paul
Paul Loatman
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 7:07 pm
Location: Modesto, CA

Postby whiskeybelly » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:34 pm

"How do you make pallets?"

The stones or the whole fork?

Stones I always start with something close, and then modify them to suit. There's some rare info in the Levin book on doing final adjustments to the impulse angles to equalize drop lock.

For forks, I have a pretty simple approach. First I draw it in CAD :wink: . Then I work out the angles between the pallet stone slots relative to the roller slot. Make a blank and fix it to a holder in the lathe, and cut the slots with a saw in the milling attachment, using a dividing attachment to turn the blank to the proper angle (and offsetting the milling attachment- you get the drift). Getting them right on size and location means making a very true and rigid holder for the saw blades. In the days before I had a jig borer I would also plant any auxiliary holes besides the one for the staff (which locates it on the holder) with the milling attachment as well. Now I take the blank and align it in the jig borer and put in the holes. It's fiddly work any way you do it!

Yours looks great and it's a testament to the old time watchmakers who wouldn't know what to do with a lathe collet much less a jig borer :)
whiskeybelly
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:17 pm
Location: Europe

Postby Paul Loatman » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:24 am

whiskeybelly wrote:"How do you make pallets?"

The stones or the whole fork?

Stones I always start with something close, and then modify them to suit. There's some rare info in the Levin book on doing final adjustments to the impulse angles to equalize drop lock.

For forks, I have a pretty simple approach. First I draw it in CAD :wink: . Then I work out the angles between the pallet stone slots relative to the roller slot. Make a blank and fix it to a holder in the lathe, and cut the slots with a saw in the milling attachment, using a dividing attachment to turn the blank to the proper angle (and offsetting the milling attachment- you get the drift). Getting them right on size and location means making a very true and rigid holder for the saw blades. In the days before I had a jig borer I would also plant any auxiliary holes besides the one for the staff (which locates it on the holder) with the milling attachment as well. Now I take the blank and align it in the jig borer and put in the holes. It's fiddly work any way you do it!

Yours looks great and it's a testament to the old time watchmakers who wouldn't know what to do with a lathe collet much less a jig borer :)


If i were doing this from scratch, i would most likely do it the same way you do, minus the jig borer and CNC of course. I know what you mean about the saw blade holder, i actually ended up buying one and modifying slightly to work better with the tiny saw blades i have, it's a collet type, so it's very rigid.

Indeed, what they used to do in the past with the equipment they were limited to is simply amazing, especially the guys who worked for Breguet and similar high quality manufacturers.
-Paul
Paul Loatman
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 7:07 pm
Location: Modesto, CA

Postby Paul Loatman » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:54 pm

Hello everyone,

It's been awhile since i posted, actually, it's been longer than i thought, i could have sworn i posted pictures of the tourbillon carriage all assembled, but i guess not.

Well, here it is now:




Now, here are some pictures of the train wheels, these were made with a rounding up tool, they need to be finished and then plated still:

The center wheel.


The third wheel.


The fourth wheel.


Now the center and third wheel together.


I've also rebuilt my workshop, but i'm still organizing everything so i'll take pictures of that later.

-Paul
-Paul
Paul Loatman
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 7:07 pm
Location: Modesto, CA

Postby Curtis » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:25 pm

Hi Paul,

Thanks for posting more pics. It is nice to see how you are progressing and please keep the pics and details coming. I also look forward to seeing pics of your new workshop.

Cheers,

Curtis
Curtis
Site Admin
 
Posts: 679
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:33 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Postby Paul Loatman » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:11 am

Finally back to my own project after working on various other things.

I'll just post pictures for now, i'll let everyone know what this is when it's finished. I have the next few weeks mostly free to work on this so i'm hoping to get this particular component finished within a week and have various other bits started. As it is now, i'm pretty much starting over again from scratch, the basic layout will be the same however, the biggest issue i've had with the tourbillon is something i've addressed and actually completely removed from the equation with this new design, so i shouldn't have any reason to start again after this point.



-Paul
Paul Loatman
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 7:07 pm
Location: Modesto, CA

Postby Paul Loatman » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:39 am

Spent most of the day filing this out. More filing is still required, but it's all easy stuff from here.






-Paul
Paul Loatman
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 7:07 pm
Location: Modesto, CA

Postby Paul Loatman » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:41 pm

I'm not sure how many people still frequent this site, but i wanted to give an update to anyone who may have thought i fell off the face of the Earth.

I'm still working on my hand-made watch and hope to finish it within a year, now that everything for it seems to be "just right" in my eyes. I spent a lot of time just doing work to help develop my skills further and to buy some essential equipment to make the watch the way i want to make it, pretty much everything i posted here previously was made with almost less than the essential equipment, i only recently bought a full set of collets for my lathes. I didn't really know how long it would take for me to get to the point where i felt comfortable with every aspect of watchmaking, but i feel like i'm very close now. Of course, i'll never stop learning, but i feel i've learned enough by now to finally finish this project.

The design is completely different now, again. It's still fairly similar to what i had last shown here, but has a couple of other things thrown in. An equation of time in the same cam-style of Breguet and Daniels, as well as an up-down indicator has been included in the list of toys.

I've also decided that i am making the escapement entirely myself, i'm using George Daniels Double Wheel, however, i'm using it in a tourbillon in the same way that Derek Pratt did it. It'll have a constant force spring between each escape wheel and their pinions.

The pictures that i last posted were of my new tourbillon carriage design, the top and bottom bridge are made as a single piece, this makes it easier for me to accurately bore the top and bottom jewel holes for the balance staff since they're both essentially in the same solid material. Another advantage for me is that there is no need for screws to hold the top and bottom half together, which means less material weight and less mass near the outer perimeter of the tourbillon which hopefully will help slightly to improve efficiency compared to the last design. The escapement will be held in a sort of "module" which will fasten to the bottom of the main carriage, this makes assembly and disassembly much easier and quicker than my previous design. For the pivot caps i was thinking of threading a protruding cylinder on the top and bottom of the carriage where the pivot caps could thread onto, however after speaking with a more experienced fellow mad scientist, i was encouraged to just use normal screws due to the many things that could possibly go wrong with my idea, so i will.

Here is a sort of proof of concept of the carriage, this isn't a working piece, it's something that i experimented with to see if i could make it well enough to bother with the idea. The final design will be slightly different (You can use the middle mouse button to open them in a new tab.):
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-0T5_y8pwhE4/UQF2RRPDsSI/AAAAAAAAAtg/yOcATF4YbqE/w1253-h835-no/DSC03804.jpg
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-oQ-xsFZGc9Q/UQF2QqQibrI/AAAAAAAAAtQ/4kStTV45a3E/w1253-h835-no/DSC03814.jpg

I actually ground most of this to shape with a small grinding wheel held in one of my lathes, this is a good way to reduce the material without destroying some good files in the process. The steel was already hardened before this point and must be in order to maintain structural rigidity as it's shaped down to it's final dimensions.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-0mf5B24LpGc/UQF2KY7knwI/AAAAAAAAAs4/zNQx3s2X6HI/w1253-h835-no/DSC03767.jpg
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Jxl_izdNVvo/UQF2KqK3y9I/AAAAAAAAAtA/p353IKxMJ50/w1195-h835-no/DSC03721.jpg

Here it is next to the top and bottom bridges of the previous tourbillon carriage that i made.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-88CJ7vD9KkM/UQF2PIOXFMI/AAAAAAAAAtI/ur6tPxxtfZA/w1113-h835-no/DSC03785.jpg

This is what i plan to make as the working tourbillon.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-_If0lCOB51I/UQF6cd86OmI/AAAAAAAAAvE/8Dj2Y9ORJz4/w1214-h835-no/carriagefull.jpg

Here is a drawing that i made of the new design for my watch.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-jhsT049jgN4/UR7Wxc4dZ_I/AAAAAAAAA2Y/nJeYTHRgv_U/w1215-h835-no/LPH1-FULL-C.jpg

There are a few areas in the design that will be different but most are entirely cosmetic differences. The hands will be completely different, but the Kanji numerals will stay, the purple steel will stay as well. Various other things will probably be different though, possibly even the layout, since this drawing is just that, a drawing. It's not an exact blueprint of what i'm making, so all of the smaller details will be dealt with as i get to them. I'm very capable of designing in CAD now, and i considered modeling this watch fully in CAD. However, in my opinion, doing things on the fly is the most sensible way of making a one-off piece because there's always the possibility for improvements or changes which could come from inspiration at the last moment.

Here's a set of escape wheels that i previously made:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-K7CuOyVMkMI/UzIqk1HuF1I/AAAAAAAABto/CxyqbZ9mzdU/w1215-h835-no/DSC04440.jpg

As you can see, one of the teeth on each was cut too deep, somehow i miss-counted while indexing and made a mistake, i'm currently working on the next set of escape wheels and should have them cut in a day or two. The pallet will be next, then followed by the balance wheel.
-Paul
Paul Loatman
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 7:07 pm
Location: Modesto, CA

Postby Daniele Sabbatini » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:50 am

I really like your latest design. Somehow the story of our watches are identical.

I want to see it finished!! (also mine ahahah)

Bye bye
Daniele Sabbatini
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:29 am

Previous

Return to On The Bench


  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron